What is Cosmetic Dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry is the term used to identify the types of dental treatment that are focused on altering the physical appearance of the teeth or gums.
Cosmetic dentistry is designed to help patients achieve the aesthetic appearance that they desire. Patients are provided with the ability to customize the shape, size, color, and overall look of teeth.
Simple Cosmetic Dental Treatment
Below are some examples of some of the most common and “simple” types of cosmetic dental treatment.
- Tooth-Colored Fillings (White Fillings): In years past, the only option for filling decayed or damaged teeth were silver fillings. Silver fillings are strong and durable, but they are highly visible when the patient smiles or opens their mouth. For many people, this can be a large source of embarrassment. Thankfully, tooth-colored fillings (also known as white fillings) allow patients to discretely restore their teeth.
- Dental Bonding: Dental bonding procedures consist in small amounts of composite that are ideal for correcting minor aesthetic issues such as cracks, chips, or small gaps between the teeth. The shade of the bonding is also expertly chosen to match the natural tooth shade.
- Professional Teeth Whitening: Professional teeth whitening sessions are an excellent way to lift unpleasant stains and correct discoloration or yellowing. Zoom Teeth Whitening can help brighten the shade of teeth anywhere between 2-8 shades.
- Gum Contouring/Lengthening: Some patients struggle with a gummy smile, while others struggle with gum recession that leaves too much tooth structure exposed. Gum contouring can be useful for removing excess gum tissue. Undergoing gum lengthening (or grafting) can help with replacing missing gum tissue.
Complex Types of Cosmetic Dental Treatment
- Porcelain/Composite Veneers: Veneers are thin layers of material that are placed directly over the front of the tooth. They are typically used to close gaps in the smile line and to customize the shape, size, or shade of the tooth.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are often known as the best way to replace a missing tooth, as they almost perfectly mimic the natural tooth structure. The dental implant is placed directly into the jaw bone and is typically topped with an implant crown to complete the smile line.
- Smile Makeover Services: Smile makeovers offered at Parkway Dental Center focus on changing the overall appearance of the smile, placing an emphasis on aesthetics. Smile Makeover is a broad term that is used when multiple different cosmetic dental treatments are planned together. Together, they produce one exceptional result for the patient. Ask Dr. Constantin, Dr. Determan, and Dr. Ferreira about the many aesthetic options that they could personalize for your case.
- Full Mouth Rehabilitation: Full mouth rehabilitation treatment focuses on restoring the functionality of the teeth. This treatment typically consists of restorative treatment such as root canals, fillings, and dental crowns.
- Invisalign® : Invisalign® is a method of orthodontic treatment that makes it possible to discretely straighten or align the teeth. Rather than traditional metal brackets and wires, Invisalign uses clear aligner trays which are nearly invisible.
- Dental Crowns: Dental crowns are protective caps that fit directly over the natural tooth. The shape, size, color, and length are all customizable aspects of dental crown treatment. Crowns are excellent for protecting the tooth from further damage after a large filling or root canal. Crowns are also ideal for completing a dental implant structure and filling the gap in the smile line.
Is Cosmetic Dentistry Right For Me?
For many people, the appearance of their smile is extremely important. This is especially true for young adults and working professionals.
One of the first things that many people notice about others is their smile. In professional settings, confidence and professionalism can make or break an important interaction. The same goes for social settings. It can be quite difficult to open up and have a good time when you have worries about what others think of your teeth.
Stained, yellowed, or crooked teeth are all examples of things that have a negative effect on an individual’s confidence. They can also affect a person’s willingness to openly smile or converse with others; for fear of receiving judgment. This may potentially have a negative effect on your experience and performance at work.
If you are not quite confident in the look of your smile and work in a field that requires a considerable amount of daily social interactions, you may find that you struggle with feeling confident in the workplace.
Thanks to modern cosmetic dental treatment, feeling uncomfortable or unsatisfied with the look of your teeth or gums is a thing of the past. Choosing to pursue cosmetic dental treatment often goes far beyond simply making aesthetic changes to the teeth or gums; it often has a massive influence on confidence – which consequently has a direct effect on overall happiness and outlook.
Parkway Dental Center: Minneapolis Cosmetic Dentist
For truly exceptional cosmetic dental treatment in the Minneapolis area, trust Parkway Dental Center. Our Doctors are highly trained to offer a wide range of cosmetic dental services in Minneapolis to help you feel more comfortable and confident with the look of your smile.
Our Minneapolis dental team is here to provide individuals with the care they need and want. We understand that having the ability to take pride in the appearance of your teeth is incredibly important to you; that is why we strive to help our patients achieve the beautiful and healthy smile of their dreams.
For more information about our Minneapolis cosmetic dentistry services or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (612) 824-4211. You can also use our online appointment scheduler tool.